Monday, November 12, 2012

A Late Eid Post

Today will be a post of pictures from the Eid al Kbir at the end of October.  The Eid marks an Arabic holiday, and part of their tradition is to slaughter and roast a sheep, eating the innards & brain on Day 1, and moving toward the meat by Day 3. In honor of this tradition, a few of my friends and I decided to get together for our own Sheep-Shaped Food Fest.  Although we had lofty intentions, only one of our dishes ended up being shaped like a sheep. Enjoy the feast for your eyes!


Marcy began by preparing the meatloaf--yes, it was mashed with love!



Our sheep before being cooked.



It took about 10 minutes before we realized we couldn't figure out how to light the oven.  That's one that I won't miss when I head back to the States (whenever that is)--easy-to-light ovens.



Marcy even set the dinner table beautifully.  What in the world did I help with?? I made the mashed potatoes and green beans--those weren't really picture worthy.



Here's our sheep!! Before the fleece addition, of course.



Again, Marcy working hard. I'll blame my lack of assistance on the fact that I was behind the camera the whole time.  Someone had to document this epic day!


Ready for the slaughtering! :)



We shall name him Sherman. . . Sherman the Sheep! Although it's so much sadder to think of eating your pets. . . so maybe not.



Read to eat!



Nobody wanted to dig in, so I volunteered to perform the sacrifice.  John let out a gut-wrenching screech just as the knife hit the "sheep" - just so we all could understand the sheep's perspective. Thanks, John!



Bordering on gluttony with the amount of food we consumed.




We tried to make a sheep-shaped cake too, but since we couldn't light the oven, we had to use the toaster oven--with a pan that was too small.  So, of course, the cake mix ended up spilling over and scorching on the bottom.  Kirsten and Stephen to the rescue!



Good thing John brought pie!



And what's an afternoon with friends without saving the world from a pandemic.  Good thing it's just a game!





Hope I didn't make you too hungry. . . or weirded out. We do weird things in Fez.  I'll try to post again soon.  Much love!