Tuesday, September 4, 2012

School's In Session

Happy first day of school, everyone!  It's crazy to think that one year ago I started teaching at Amicitia, have already made it through my first year here, and even enjoyed a 2-month break.  Reflecting on today, it almost feels like I never left Morocco for the summer. :)

This past week was full of administrative meetings, getting to know the new teachers, and organizing our classrooms.  I've switched rooms, and hope that pictures will soon follow.  The weather was decent about half the week, and the other half I felt like I was stuck in a sauna.  Thankfully the temp is supposed to be dropping about 6 degrees by this next week.  Hallelujah!

Going into this school year, I have been apprehensive & anxious, but expecting great things.  A few of my dearest friends did not return to Morocco this year, and it's been hard to handle.  I feel I've had trouble allowing myself to connect with any of the new teachers, possibly as a coping method, possibly to avoid heartache again.  As I get used to all the changes and the year progresses, I'm hopeful I'll be able to foster wonderful relationships with everyone at the school.

Our internet has been down at the apartment for the past week which as resulted in few conversations with my family and less time working on plans and handouts for this first week of school.  While I didn't feel that prepared going in to today, I think everything turned out well.  It was great to see the students again; I was surprised at how much I missed them!  There are a few things you can be in prayer about:
1. That even though I know most of my students, I can continue to build great relationships with them.
2. That the structure and rules I had in my class last year won't dictate the mood in the classroom this year--that I'll still be able to be strict and firm without them thinking they can get away with this or that because they have had me as a teacher before.
3. That there would be unity among the teaching staff.
4. That I would work hard at teaching English, but recognize when the heart of my students and their emotional/physical/spiritual needs supersede the English lesson for the day.
5. That the weather would break & cool air would surround & pervade the school and classrooms.
6. That my students' minds would be open and they would be willing participants in the classroom.

I think that's all for now.  I'm really excited for this year and feel that something wonderful is going to happen in Fes, Morocco.  I come expectant and can't wait to share all the juicy details with you!